Model : Giwa |Stylist : Mekel bailey |Production : Croznest
I was up at 5:30 am last week Friday ready for the big day of assisting on a editorial shoot for the company I am interning for. Call time was 9:00 am and I was there at 8:30 am because I would rather be early than late and it shows professionalism. As an assistant, you would never know what each day could bring, you could find yourself braiding hair even if you’re not a hair dresser (true story) , helping the stylist with the looks which is what I always look forward to or running around in town doing errands. But one thing for sure ,fashion is not always as glamorous as it looks. Below are the 5 things I learnt as a fashion assistant:
1) The words “that’s not my job ” don’t exist. I found myself braiding hair whilst the hair stylist was doing another’s model hair.
2) Patience is a virtue. Being patient is one of the most important things not just as a fashion assistant but overall in life.
3) Listen and practice the art of networking. The fashion industry is small; everyone knows everyone and also you should able to have the ability to talk everyone so that it increases your chances to get more contacts. And always be courteous.
4) You’re the last one to leave the set. At the end of the day , you help the stylist pack up the items and store away the bags. We all start somewhere right
5) Fake it till you make it. When it all fails